Direct from Copenhagen, Denmark - 15th United Nations Climate Change Conference - (8 – 18 December '09)

Acting as the official High Tide COP15 envoy, distinguished ecological artist Aviva Rahmani will be immersing herself in the burgeoning eco-political activism in the city and sharing her experiences with us via this daily blog.

Why not get involved and join in dialogue with her? Log-on to share your views! This is the gathering storm…

Produced in association with FACT

Monday 7 December 2009

Day 3 Copenhagen, Official Day 1 COP15

Woke to a bleary gray morning and the three year-old happily eating breakfast and got out the door by 8:AM, an hour later than I'd planned. At the entrance to Cop15, someone was handing out flyers: "Stop the Global Warming Hoax Which Will Lead to Genocide," to which I replied, "o, please, give me a break," and next thing I heard was the cheerful drumming of Friends of the Earth. Told them I was glad they were here and went on to join the crowd entering and passing thru security (like an airline).

Couldn't connect with Marilyn Averill, the UCB co-ordinator in time to pick up one of 4 tickets to be in the main room for the plenary speakers, but did get into Plenary room 2 in time to set up and connect my laptop.

Bright lights have just gone on in the room. It's three minutes to the first speaker, the Danish Prime Minister, Lars Leokke Rasmussen. I'm sitting between a delegation of young people from Oxford University Environmental Change Institute on my right and delegates from Denmark and Ecuador on my left. On the screens, about 75' ahead, there are close-ups of the delegates in conversation, milling around. We are being asked to take our seats for the welcoming ceremony.

No comments:

Post a Comment